• Wife and her family are harassing and asking for money


I got married last year December and things went south soon after as my wife turned out to be very money-oriented, foul-mouthed and wanted me to stay away from my family, with her.

After marriage my parents moved in with us, as my brother and cousin too were there but she used to treat all very badly, shouting and snapping back always. She had same behavior towards my sister-in-law (then my brother's girlfriend). 

Gradually her demands for money started increasing, she wanted money for setting up Post Office account, FD and also she and her mother wanted to set up a LIC for myself. I opposed and mental harassment kept growing, so I paid her some lump sum every month initially cash and then NEFT to keep a Track. The harassment continues to date and they have added threats of 498A.

Please can someone help me raise my case and save me from this traumatic life. I can mail a proper time line of events, as I was unable to add those here due to word restrictions. 

Asked 6 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

1. No issue, give entire salary to her and ask her to maintain domestic affairs.

2. She comes to terms.

3. Be with her alone separately for some days to save your marriage.

4. Law is in her favor, please cautious before taking any decision in favor of your parents.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6136 Answers
487 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

File for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty

2) wife abusing husband and in laws amounts to mental cruelty

3) wife forcing husband to stay separate from parents amounts to mental cruelty

4) if wife files false dowry harassment case apply for and obtain Anticipatory bail from sessions court

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, 498A matters earlier police used to arrest but now police is not arresting as many false matters are getting registered. you help the police in the investigation and convince them you have done nothing. if you see by chance any apprehension of arrest, move anticipatory bail.

do contact a local lawyer handy.

you can also file for divorce.

Varnika Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
327 Answers
2 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


If you want separation then you can file for divorce otherwise you can file section 9 RCR petition to make your wife behave nicely.

Thank You

Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5365 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Respected sir....

make a police complaint to higher police officials of your area, that your wife and her parents are threatening you to implicate you and your family in false dowry and domestic cases, tell the police that their intension is malicious, you take first step prior to their action, your defence will be created. Don't worry they can't do anything after that.. Best of luck..And make your mind weather you can stay with her or not because in some conditions it's better to be apart then facing such cheap condition...


Dinesh Sharawat
Advocate, Delhi
1263 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You have only one option i.e. filing of divorce petition on the grounds of mental cruelty against her in court of law with the help of any good advocate.

Laksheyender Kumar
Advocate, Delhi
734 Answers
2 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1. You can file a petition for dissolution of marriage on the ground of cruelty against your wife as all her acts constitute mental cruelty.

2. Record all her threats and also abuses which can help you to prove your case. In a contested divorce the petitioner has to prove his allegations to get a decree of divorce from the court.

3. If she has threatened 498A then she will certainly execute her threat, so if and when the FIR gets filed then apply for anticipatory bail.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The greedy and arrogant married women will use the lethal weapon called 498a to bring down their husbands to fall on their feet, and this has e become more a fashion than for what purpose this was was introduced.

The misuse of this law is on the high these days and married women use this as a weapon to threaten not only the husbands but all their close and distant relatives too.

This is called as legal terrorism.

However you cannot avoid her from lodging her a criminal complaint if she decides to trouble and torture you and your parents and other relatives.

You can obtain anticipatory bail in that event and challenge her false cases properly in the trial court on the basis of merits and documentary evidences in your possession.

You can secure the evidences of transferring the money to her account and other details that how she was taken care etc, this would help you to defend your interests.

You can discuss the issues at length with a local lawyer and take precautionary steps as advised.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


It will be better for your to inform the different authorities about your problem in detail. This will put an advantage that you had informed all the respective authorities.

Continue your maintenance to your wife after two years of desertion you can file divorce case against her.


Shiddhartha Banerjee
Advocate, Calcutta
42 Answers

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer