• Legal procedure for Apostasy

I and my wife were born as Hindus.  However as atheists, we would like to be able to respond to questions about religion with a 'Not Applicable', including when we fill out information for our child. Is there a legal procedure in doing so or can we just start using 'N.A.' in whatever forms we fill up in future?
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law from Pune, Maharashtra
apostasy is the formal disaffiliation from or abandonment or renunciation of a religion by a person 

United Nations Commission on Human Rights, considers the recanting of a person's religion a human right legally protected by the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights:
The Committee observes that the freedom to 'have or to adopt' a religion or belief necessarily entails the freedom to choose a religion or belief, including the right to replace one's current religion or belief with another or to adopt atheistic views ... Article 18.2[5] bars coercion that would impair the right to have or adopt a religion or belief, including the use of threat of physical force or penal sanctions to compel believers or non-believers to adhere to their religious beliefs and congregations, to recant their religion or belief or to convert

There is no concept of heresy or apostasy in Hinduism. Hinduism grants absolute freedom for an individual to leave or choose his faith; on the Path of God. Hindus believe all sincere faiths ultimately lead to the same God
Hinduism conceives the whole world as a single family that deifies the one truth, and therefore it accepts all forms of beliefs and dismisses labels of distinct religions which would imply a division of identity. Hence, Hinduism is devoid of the concepts of apostasy, heresy, and blasphemy.

it is better you fill in form with your religion to avoid complication s for your child career .
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45751 Answers
2692 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot confer your views on your child. You are required to mention  your religion as on the date of birth of your child as that of the child's religion.
Sai Kiran R
Advocate, Bangalore
86 Answers
6 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You cannot respond with 'N.A' in answer to the question about your religion unless you obtain a declaration to this effect from a court of law. 

Furthermore, it will be profitable for you to understand that your child as an autonomous entity has the exclusive right to determine his religious affiliation. It is impermissible for you to regulate or emasculate his religious beliefs in any manner. You are legally bound to mention ''Hindu'' as the religion of your child.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer