• Mandatory ECS Mandate form by Heritage School

Dear Sir/Madam,

 I am not sure whether this issue falls under the Civil law or not. 

My son's school "The Heritage School - Kolkata" has issued a notice by which they have made it mandatory for all students to submit the quarterly school fees through Bank-ECS. Till date we had bee paying the school fees by cheque by personally depositing in the school's bank account at Punjab National Bank. We never have been a defaulter nor have paid the fees late and I assume most of the parents to be the same.

Our issue is:
1. The ECS-Mandate form has details of Account no., MICR Code, Account Holder's name, student Name so on and so forth, but nowhere it mentions any amount that would be deducted, which means we are supposed to give them a blank cheque.

2. We do not want go for ECS deductions as they are difficult to stop as I could gather from some of my friends and colleagues.

3. The school teachers have threatened some of the students that if they do not get ECS from filled up by the parents, then they have to leave the school which is very atrocious.

4. They have thrown this monkey on our shoulders in the middle of the annual exam time.

I will be highly obliged if you could give me some advice, if what the school is doing is legal and how to stop this ECS thing and continue in the conventional method of paying the school fees.

With best regards,

Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law from Kolkata, West Bengal
school cannot force you to pay fees by ECS mandate . it is at option of parents . lodge police complaint against school management . also send written complaint to education department of your state against the school
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44139 Answers
2560 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

What the school is doing is illegal and undemocratic. It is at the option of parents as to whether the payment is to be made by ECS mandate. Lodge a police complaint. You may even move the HC against the school.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22958 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Approach a consumer forum for unfair practice and deficiency of service.
Sai Kiran R
Advocate, Bangalore
86 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

First send notice to school management stating your unwillingness to opt for ECS mode of payment along with reasons for the same. Also give commitment to pay by way of 'conventional method'. Seek reply to your notice in writing. 

Based on their reply you can decide on filing consumer case against the school. As notice is necessary ingredient before filing consumer complaint.
Sandeep Hegde
Advocate, Bangalore
401 Answers
116 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer