• Rights of individuals staying on rent in Mumbai

Hi , I stay in Mumbai since 3.5 yeras in a rented apartment. I had applied for aadhar card and it got it 3 months ago. Now I wanted to apply for Driving License . The RTO officer asked me to table another address proof besides aadhar card .. i shared the registered rent agreement. The RTO officer advised me to show the orignal agreement and he will process the license request. My flat owner became fusrious when I asked him the orignal rent agreement. Hi saccountant advised him that he should not allow me to make documents based on his flat address. Is this correct? Can I challenge the Landlord's stand of refusal to share orignal rent agreement ?
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
landlord is apprehensive that you may not leave the premises on expiry of agreement . hence he dosent want  you to make any documents for said flat lest you start claiming you are a tenant .
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
47935 Answers
2846 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The landlord might be apprehensive of the fact that you may claim to be a statutory tenant at the expiry of the agreement. You may issue a lawyer's notice to the landlord asking him to share with you the original agreement, but this is fraught with the risk of him taking recourse to law to remove you from the apartment.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23426 Answers
652 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer