• Domestic violence 2005

I have filed two FIRs and my daughter one under 323/506 with medical records from civic hospitals. Police directed me to approach Kurla Police station counsellor. Kurla Counsellor said state all related facts and submit your letter. Now I am told to approach a NGO legal advisor. I was under the impression that once you submit a statement under the Act the Majistrate will take action and give protection order as well as right to live in the shared household and restrain my husband from beating. The case will be concluded in 60 days. Is this true?.
Asked 3 years ago in Civil Law from Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
DV cases take 3 years in Mumbai to be disposed of . you can file complaint before magistrate under DV act . seek protection order , right to stay in shared household etc .

It is untrue.

A case under DV Act is to be filed directly in the court. How can the magistrate pass an order unless and until there is a case before him? Once you file the case a notice thereof will be issued to the opposite party, after which the magistrate will pass the order.