• Foreigner wife Indian husband

I got married in mumbai as per Shia personal law board 
My wife is the citizen of Tanzania and resident of UAE 
She has come to India on a tourist visa for 3 months 
Can you please help me in understanding the registration of marriage and application of resident visa for my wife so she can work 
She is an engineer by profession and I am a doctor 
My home is in Mumbai but I work in Pune
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Muslim

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

apply for registration of marriage under provisions of special marriage act

2) the following documents are required for both the partners:

a valid Passport

original Birth Certificate showing parents' names

if the person concerned is widowed, the original death certificate of the deceased spouse

If divorced, copy of the final decree

documentary evidence regarding stay in India of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO)

3) Both partners need to fill the relevant application form, sign it, and submit it, along with photocopies of the necessary documents , such as age proof and address proof

8) . For proof of marriage, submit a certificate from the Qazi who solemnised the marriage

9) Once the application has been submitted and the documents verified , the concerned officer will assign a date for registration, when the marriage certificate will be issued .

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95168 Answers
7604 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1,Your marriage appears to already have been performed and in that case it must have been registered as well.

2.In such event it does not require further registration.

3. Howeevr any marriage irrespective f religion can be registered under Special Marriage Act.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22917 Answers
497 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Though you have married her on the basis of Muslim personal law and religious rites, since she is a foreigner, you cannot register the marriage under the same law.

You can register the marriage under the provisions of foreign marriages act or special marriages act.

Conditions relating to solemnization of foreign marriages.

A marriage between parties one of whom at least is a citizen of India may be solemnized under this Act by or before a Marriage Officer in a foreign country, if, at the time of the marriage, the following conditions are fulfilled, namely:--

(a) neither party has a spouse living,

(b) neither party is an idiot or a lunatic,

(c) the bridegroom has completed the age of twenty-one

years and the bride the age of eighteen years at the time of

the marriage, and

(d) the parties are not within the degrees of prohibited


Provided that where the personal law or a custom governing

at least one of the parties permits of a marriage between

them, such marriage may be solemnized, notwithstanding that

they are within the degrees of prohibited relationship.

Registration of foreign marriages.17. Registration of foreign marriages.-(1)

Where- (a) a Marriage Officer is satisfied that a marriage has

been duly solemnized in a foreign country.

The necessary formalities to be complied with for this purpose can be enquired from the local marriage registrar's office.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85369 Answers
2231 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) girl must be having bank account in her name

2) that would serve as her address proof

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95168 Answers
7604 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

She should be having some address at her native in her country.

She cannot say that she do not have any address proof.

She should at least be having a bank passbook.

These are mere formalities that are to be complied as per procedures, hence you may look for some back door entry in case you are not able to provide the same.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85369 Answers
2231 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer