• Lost Power of Attorney

Hello, My name is Jitendra in 2007 year i purchased a plot in sangam vihar (Delhi) and that was on GPOA. Every process was done by my father, i even do not know who was the first party but the property was purchased on my name only and electricity meter also issued on my name. Due to some dispute between me and my father, i am living separate from my family and my GPOA is with my father and he is not giving me back. In when i made police complaint he denied that he is not having my attorney with him.
Is there any way i can get the duplicate copy of Attorney from some where, as i wants to sell the property now. i even don't know whether GPOA was registered or not. 
Can i try to get copy of attorney from BSES as for electrictiy connection and for meter they must have submit the copy of attorney, and on the basis of copy of attorney i can make it again.
Please suggest me how can i get my attorney back as i wants to sell this property for some urgent need of money.
Asked 7 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

1) take search in sub registrar office and obtain certified copy of registered power of attorney

2)registration is mandatory of POA for sale of property

3) you can request BSES to furnish copy of POA available on its records

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95205 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. If the GPA is not registered then you will not a duplicate copy anymore unless your seller gives its photocopy if the same remains with him.

2. Yes,you can get its certified copy by sending a RTI application.

3. But if both these fails then I regret there is no other way except the seller executes a fresh POA and hand it over to you.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist

there is two option, First, try to get the copy of the same from BSES.


second, file a civil suit for recovery of documents from your father and if you are not in possession of property then claim possession too.

Feel Free to Call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6307 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Property under GPA is not a valid title.

If you want to have a copy of the GPA, you can make a search for the same through the concerned registrar's office and if available you can get a copy of the same.

The copies available with electricity corporation shall be an evidence to know whether the same is a registered document or not, hence you may even try to get a copy of the same from them if available. .

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer