• Change in date of birth and birth place in Passport

I have a passport issued in 2010 and date of birth is mentioned 10.07.1957 with birth place Jhansi (U.P.). I had submitted copy of matriculation certificate which indicating date of birth is 10.07.1957, But I have birth certificate issued in 2009 from Municipal Carporation Bhopal indicating date of birth 10.12.1960, with birth place Bhopal (M.P.). In my PAN card as well as in Aadhaar Card and in my office records also , reflecting date of birth 10.12.1960. I want to change the birth place Bhopal instead of Jhansi as well as date of birth 10.12.1960 instead of 10.12.1957. Passport Authority Officers are not ready to change it. Kindly guide me proper way. Thanks and regards
Asked 7 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

3 Answers

1) passport was issued on basis of date of birth reflected in your school leaving certificate

2) had you produced your birth certificate correct date and place of birth would have been reflected

3) if you want to change date of birth in your passport and passport office is refusing to do so you would need court orders in this regard

4) contact a local lawyer and file writ petition in HC to direct RPO to change your date and place of birth in your passport

5) you would have to explain discrepancy of 3 years in your date of birth

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

In these circumstances you would require a court order to the Regional Passport Office (RPO) directing it to change it. You may file a writ petition in the HC in this regard. Without a court order the RPO will never change it.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

While applying for an Indian passport the applicant should submit his date of birth proof such as birth certificate. On basis of the documents provided the passport is issued; so there will not be any question of change of date of birth in passport. But while issuing a passport the passport authority may make an error in date of birth on passport. It is the applicant’s responsibility to check that the details that are printed on the passport are correct as soon as the passport is issued.

It is also possible that the applicant may find that the date of birth provided by him/her is wrong after the passport is issued.

If the error was from passport authority, then a new passport is issued with correct date of birth without any fee. If the error was from applicant then they charge a fee of Rs. 500 for issuing a new passport with corrected date of birth.

Birth Certificate for Passport While applying for Indian passport, you need to specify your Date of Birth in the application form.

Proof of Date of Birth The following can be produced along with the application form for proof of date of birth,

Birth Certificate issued by a municipal authority or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths

Date of Birth certificate from the school last attended by the applicant or any other recognized educational institution

An affidavit sworn before a Magistrate/Notary stating date of birth by illiterate or semi-illiterate applicants.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer