• Father came back after 57 years and now demanding parental care

My father had abandon me ( i am the son) and my sister when we were 3-5 years old and was living with his sister with no contact with us at all level. But now my father came back to us after 57 years and demand medical expenses because his sister's family denied him such and left at the streets. Now police is forcing, harassing us and ordering to take medical expenses responsibility(which is alot and we can't afford). Is there any legal responsibility on me to take care of my father? Or my father's sister's family member has legal responsibility as he was living with them for past 57 years? What course of action do i have to avoid police harassment? Whome to approach police station kr court? What do i do?
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

1) you are bound to maintain your father

2) if you fail to do so he can apply to senior citizen tribunal and court can direct you to pay Rs 10,000 a month as maintenance for your father

3) 3) it is not necessary you get your father treated at private hospital . take him to govt hospital wherein charges are nominal

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95205 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. A father can seek maintenance from his son for which he will have to file case u/s 125 of crpc.

2.However the said amount does not include medical expenses.

3. You being his son can not escape from your pious obligation to maintain your father.

4. So you better meet your father and try to bail him out. There is nothing like blessing of parent.

5. However the Police can not surely harass you for this.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Police has no authority of law to command you to support your father financially. The only remedy for your father is before the courts.

2, Your father can file a case for maintenance but you can contest it on the ground that a father who had abandoned his children cannot come back after 57 years and seek maintenance.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The police cannot force you to take care of him nor there is a provision in law to lodge a complaint with police for this purpose.

The police cannot even register this complaint.

Your father can approach court seeking maintenance amount from you but it cannot order you to undertake the entire medical expenses if you are not able to meet them out of yor income.

It becomes your filial duty to take care of your father.

His sister is not liable to take care or maintain your father.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer