• Conversion from joint ownership to single ownership

I currently own a property in gurgaon along with my father as the primary and myself as the secondary. We would now like to remove my fathers name from the title and make me the single primary owner. How does one go about this?

Asked 7 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

your father can execute gift or relinquishment deed for his 50 per cent share in property

2) gift deed should be duly stamped and registered

3) contact a local lawyer

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It appears that the proeprty is owned in joint names of you and your father.

2. So both of you have equal title in the proeprty and none of you is its primary or secondary owner s far as share in the proeprty is concerned.

3. Now if you want to become its sole owner then your father will have to execute and regsiter a deed of gift in your name tranferring his half share in the proeprty.

4. So do accordingly.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Concerned,

There are two options you have

a. either your father writes a registered will in your favor for the share of the property and after his lifetime this property can be transferred OR

b. Your father gifts his share to you through gift deed , you pay the gift deed stamp duty and (3%-5%)registration charges and property is 100% yours.

Best of luck

Atulay Nehra
Advocate, Noida
1309 Answers
58 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you want to become a single owner then your father either has to execute a registered sale deed or gift deed or a settlement deed in your favor after which you shall be the absolute owner

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer