• Name change advice

Hi, i wanted to change my name from my current name given in my birth certificate (due to astrological reasons). But the problem is that my CBSE board certificates do not bear my surname which is mentioned in my birth certificate. Will it be a problem in the future if i want to go for higher studies? I have passed out more than 2 years ago and CBSE is not willing to entertain any addition to the name already printed on the mark-sheets.
I have already made a notarized affidavit stating that the name in CBSE certificates and birth certificate both belong to me. 
Please advise me on whether it is safe to do so because i am not happy with my current name.
Asked 7 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

If CBSE is refusing to add your surname in your school leaving certificate then you would need court orders to reflect your full name in your school certificate

2) file writ petition in HC to direct CBSE to rectify your name in your school certificate on basis of your birth certificate

3) don't change your name at present

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95205 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

A major person can change his name of surname at any point of time and start using it. But the previsious documents will continue to bear the old name.

To remove this anomaly it is required that you get an affidavit done from the Magistrate and then make a newspaper publication.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Since you have already made an affidavit mentioning that both the names belong to you, you can get your changed name published in the government gazette. The copy of the gazette publication may be kept along with the other certificates to solve the problem

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Any person can change his name as per his wish. Steps for changing your own name are 1.An affidavit needs to be prepared for name change 2. A n announcement should be published in the newspaper.3. A notification should be published in the Gazette of India regarding the name change.

But changing your name in a Degree or Diploma or any other college certificate within India, is a long and tedious process. No Educational certificate will be altered.So there is no need to change the name in the Educational certificate. Apply for one and same certificate before Village officer with the help old certificate and paper publications. It will help you in future. Attachment of copy of the Gazetter notification along with your educational certificates would do wherever you apply.

But you wish to change the name in educational certificate, and then file proper application before CBSC board, if they are not willing to do the same then you file a suit before high court for getting a direction to change the name in educational certificate. Order will get within 3 months.

Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
4080 Answers
111 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer