• Only child death of parents House

 My husband is the only child. 
 His mother has a Bangalore Development Authority House with clear papers is 
in her name. She expired recently (about 2 weeks ago). 
There is no issues with any relatives and we don't suspect the house to be 
sold to any one. She was living in the house till she expired. 
When we took the papers to the lawyer he says that in the process only khata 
will be transferred in his name. How do we ensure that with just the khata 
transfer my husband is the legal owner of the property ?
 Please advise if the process is correct.
Asked 7 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

If your husband is the sole surviving legal heir of his deceased mother then he has succeeded absolutely to the property of his mother. Your husband should apply for mutation i.e khata transfer. Nothing else is to be done. He will be free thereafter to sell the property as the absolute owner of it,

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) since mother died intestate your husband as legal heir

should obtain letters of administration from district court

2) it would not take more than 6 months

3) then apply for mutation of house in his name

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95205 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Your mother in law has the title deed in her favour and she has expired intestate.

2. Had the said property been gifted to your husband by registering a gift deed, a separate document conveying the title of the property in favour of your husband would have been created and registered.

3. In the instant case, there is no document created to convey the title of the property in favour of your husband and he is inheriting it for which no separate legal document is being created and registered.

4. For the above reason only Khata will be transferred in his name which will be enough for him to claim the title of the property inherited by him.

5. He shall have to collect legal heir certificate from the Councilor of the local Municipal Corporation with which he shall have to apply for the said Khata transfer.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27245 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your husband being the only legal heir or successor in interest, the property shall automatically devolve on him fully since your mother in law died intestate i.e., without making any arrangement or will in anyone's favor.

Transfer of khatha on his name shall make him an absolute owner of the property with marketable title.

Your lawyer is absolutely right in his opinion.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer