• Engagement breakup

Hi sir, 

I had engagement in July 2016 and I called off the marriage due misunderstanding between me and the girl after three weeks..We have not collected any gift from her family .We have gifted one gold chain to her.. Could you please provide legal consequences for engagement brake up .How do I proceed further to come out of this issue..I am eagerly waiting for your legal advice..Thank you in advance for advice
Asked 7 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

1) since you have broken the engagement offer to bear the expenses incurred by girl family for the engagement

2) since no gifts were given by the girl side question of return of gifts does not arise

3) if girl files false cheating case contest it on merits . Obtain bail

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95205 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.Please note that marriage engagement does not create any legal binding contract and hence its breach of it does not give rise to any legal action.

2. However if you call off the engagement then return all her articles.

3.Apart from this there is legal issue.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

One is free to break his engagement at anytime before marriage. There are no legal consequences of it. The gifts mutually exchanged at the time of engagement are to be returned. You should issue a lawyer's notice to her to intimate her about your unwillingness to marry her and also demand the return of the gold chain.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have decided to break off the proposed marriage after your engagement, you should communicate your decision to the girl or her side people by posting a letter by registered post.

In this letter you hold mention the reasons clearly that what prompted you to take this decision and why this marriage cannot be proceeded with as proposed and what all items that have been exchanged during the engagement ceremony and the mode of returning each other's items/gift, sharing of the expenses for engagement, if any.

If the bride side people, on provocation, try to initiate any legal process, you can challenge them on the basis of this registered letter or communication sent to them at a later stage as and when the situation arises.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer