• Transfer charges by society

Hello. My father got a flat under redevelopment in August 2015. The developer handed over the flats to all old & new members & formed the society in August 2015. My father died on 31/05/2016. He has not made any will. Further the society has neither issued share certificate nor nomination forms. Hence my father was unable to make nomination. My father left behind my mother, myself (son) & three sisters. We have no dispute among us as we all are agree to transfer the said property on the name of my mother & myself jointly. Accordingly I have given set of all the documents including affidavit, indemnity bond & application to the society along with the death certificate. The society have decided to issue share certificate in this month ( FEB-2017). They are ready to transfer share certificate from my father to my mother & myself jointly only if we PAY Transfer charges of Rs. 25,000=00. 
My question is, May I have to pay Transfer charges compulsorily ? Letter of administration or succession certificate is essential in my case. What step I can take further if society doesnt agree ?
Please guide.
Asked 7 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

1) transfer charges have not to be paid in case flat transferred in your and mother name after father demise

2) since your father died intestate better obtain letters of administration from high court

3) succession certificate is only for movabl debts and securities and would not serve the purpose

4) complain to day registrar if society refuses to transfer flat in your mother name

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The transfer charge depends on the bye laws of the society.this is generally administrative charge and the amount varies from society to society. You can check form the society registrar's office to find out the amount is exorbitant or not.

2.Do not theat mere trasnfer of sahre certificate in your joint names will not make you and your mother joint owner of the property. To release the sahre of your sisters they will have to execute and register a deed of gift deed. Otherwise even if share certificate transfers in your name they remain its joint owner and later on if they change their mind they can claim their share in the proeprty.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. If the flat owners have registered a society under the MCS Act the following fees can be collected, to the exclusion of any and all other charges or enhanced amounts, irrespective of the bye-laws or general body resolutions. a) Membership Entrance Fees = 100/- (for each person) b) Membership Transfer Fees = 500/- c) Share Transfer Premium = 25000/-.

2. Letter of administration or Succession Certificate is not required in your case.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

For transfer of share certificate to a legal heir of the deceased ;

When there is no dispute, following papers are to be submitted:

(1) Application for membership by an heir of the deceased member, in Appendix-17, with Rs100 entrance fee. [under Bye-law No.35]

(2) If the heir does not have an independent source of income, an undertaking by an earning member and relative of the heir, who is ready to pay all Society's due of the heir has to be made on Rs100 Non-judicial Stamp Paper.

(2) The heir has to give an indemnity on Rs200 Non-Judicial Stamp Paper, in Appendix-19. [ under Bye-law no.35 ]

(3) The heir has to give an undertaking on Rs100 Non-Judicial Stamp Paper, in Appendix-4. [under the bye-law no. 17(b) and 19(A)(iv) ]

(4) CHS will display the notice in Appendix-16 in its notice board, send a copy to every member of the Society and will publish it in two local news papers having wide publicity, one in local language and one in English. Any claim from the public has to come within a period of 15 days from the date of publication of the notice. [ under Bye-law no.35 ]

(5) Follow points (6) to (10) as mentioned above in the case where nomination is made.

(Note: The heir has to take a Xerox copy of the notice published in all the news papers as proof of publication in the newspapers and among the members of the said CHS. These are to be submitted to the Society, as a proof of publication in the papers.)

He will then submit his papers to CHS, only after the period stated in the newspaper has expired.

There is no necessity to pay Rs. 25,000/- towrds this transfer, this is applicable only when the property is sold and share certificate to be transferred to the buyer's name.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Society cannot pass resolution in contravention of bye laws

2) MC cannot keep share certificates in their custody

3) issue legal notice to society to transfer flat in your name

4) in alternative complain to day registrar against society

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer