• Marriage with the Philippines citizen in India

I am getting married in a few months with my fiance who lives is a Philippines citizen (Christian Religion) and all the marriage arrangements are being done in India in my hometown. I am currently pursuing my Ph.D. at IIT Jodhpur. Our both families are supposed to attend the marriage ceremony. I want to ask the following things related to VISA as well as court marriage:

1. As she is coming with her mother, father and her sister to India to attend the marriage ceremony. For which type of VISA they should apply and what is the procedure and the documents needed for the said VISA type. 

2. If I or my family need to sponsor their visit (for accommodation and stay) for the marriage, what are the documents we need to send them for the authentication? And do we need to send any document in original to the Philippines?

3. How should we register our marriage in the simplest way so that I can apply for her VISA extension later as she will be living with me in India after marriage?

4. What are the documents needed for both of us for court marriage and what procedure should be followed? Can we apply for marriage anywhere in India or only to my locality?

I also require some information to be followed for her VISA extension and looking for someone with experience of similar cases to help us in this regard. You can contact me after anytime.
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

1)your fiancee along with her family members can come to India on tourist visa

2) you cna send an invitation letter to visit india . it can be supported by a notarised affidavit inviting them to visit india for period mentioned in the letter

3) you can get married under provisions of special marriage act in india

4) you required to file a notice of intended marriage with a Marriage Registrar in Jharkhand . That notice is required to be published for the stipulated 30 days. At the end of the 30 days the Marriage Registrar is free to perform the marriage.

The notice of intended marriage can only be given in India, if at least one partner is permanently and the other partner temporarily resident in India.

After the stipulated waiting period of 30 days the marriage can take place in India. Under the Special Marriage Act, 1954 a certificate showing the signatures of the persons married, the registrar and the witnesses will be issued. This Certificate is required as proof of the marriage and when applying for a visa to for a foreign country.

The following documents are required for both the partners:

a valid Passport

original Birth Certificate showing parents' names

if the person concerned is widowed, the original death certificate of the deceased spouse

If divorced, copy of the final decree

documentary evidence regarding stay in India of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO)

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The travel visa is best option to apply for.

2. There is no need to send any original document. You cans end scanned copy of your bank statements and a letter stating your consent to sponsor their stay with you.

3. You can register your marriage under Special Marriage Act.

4. You need your address proof and her passport copy along passport size photos.

If you cna contact any travel agent of reputes like SOTC, Cox and Kings for visa purposes.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

In India, civil weddings are governed by the provisions of The Special Marriage Act (1954). Under the Act, there’s a 30 day residency requirement, which means that either the bride or the groom has to be living in India for at least 30 days prior to applying to the local registry office to get married. For foreigners, this is evidenced by a certificate from the local police station.

You’ll need to submit your Notice of Intended Marriage to the registry office, along with evidence of residency, certified copies of passports and birth certificates, and two passport sized photographs each. It's only necessary for one of the parties, not both, to be present to submit the intention to marry.

In addition, evidence of eligibility to be married is usually required. Anyone who hasn’t been married should obtain a single status affidavit (in the US), a Certificate of No Impediment (in the UK), or Certificate of No Record (in Australia). If you’re divorced, you’ll need to produce the Decree Absolute, or if you’re widowed, a copy of the death certificate.

If no objections to the marriage are received within 30 days of the application, a civil ceremony at the registry office can then take place. Three witnesses are required, who have to provide passport sized photographs, as well as identification and proof of address. The marriage certificate is usually issued a couple of weeks after the wedding.

Make sure your fiancee get a tourist visa valid for 3 months since the entire procedure takes that much time. To apply for a tourist visa for 3 months , I should give invitation letter, a scanned copy of my PAN card and return ticket valid for 90 days.

Since your wife will be here on a tourist visa, you can convert her visa from a tourist visa to a short visit visa (valid for one year). For this you can visit the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO).

You can follow the above procedures yourself.

For more details in this regard, you can visit a marriage registrar's office in your locality and enquire entire details including procedures for marriage and the formalities required to be complied with.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) your fiancee can convert into hinduism

2) marriage can then be solemnised as per hindu vedic rites

3) marriage can be registered in india under HMA

4) on basis of said regsitration certifcate apply for extension of visa

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If both belong to different religion then the marriage though solemnised in a Hindu temple may not be registered under hindu Marriage act.

It can be registered under special marriages act, otherwise the Christian spouse should convert to Hindu before marriage and provide evidence for that.

The marriage can be registered under special marriages act only if both the persons belong to different religion, hence there is no question of Hindu marriage certificate

For formalities you may take the help of a consultant who would render the services on terms.

You have to apply for extension of visa as per the prescribed format..

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer