• Regarding Patta and Daag of a plot of purchased by my father

My father purchased a plot of land almost a year ago. The owner handed over the plot, but we could not set up pillars as water was stagnant there. After registration, we got mutated in the settlement records and eventually in the municipal record. We also paid the property tax. But, now someone is claiming that it is his land. My questions are
1. Whether my Patta no. and Daag no. can mismatch? 
2. Whether someone can claim after mutation is done?
Asked 7 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

5 Answers

1. What is the basis of claim of another person. Without knowing the title of person claiming over your property it is difficult to advise.

2. Mutation is only presumption of title. It doesn't override the title as mutation is meant to for revenue records only.

3. So if your title is clean the another person's claim of title wouldn't stand for sure.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir..

Every record is available in the district administration authority ..first of all..you can file R.T.I. and collect all the documents of the land .... its the liability of department to provide you all the legal papers....you can match your patta and daag no.......in legal aspects ...no one can claim after mutation ..

Best Regards


Feroz Shaikh
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
407 Answers
58 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. If you had conducted due diligence in a flawless manner before purchase of land which showed that the title of the land is free and marketable then you may prove your title. Be that as it may, let this man go to civil court and file a suit for declaration of title and recovery of possession, which you can contest.

2.Mutation is not a document of title. If somebody claims a title better than the title of the person in possession then he can always file a suit for declaration of his title.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) what is the baqsis of his claim ?

2) the claimant has to prove it is his land only

3) claim can be made after mutation also

4) apply to survey office for demarcation of boundaries of your land

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95216 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The patta number and their relevant details of the property should not mismatch, if it does then you may apply for rectification of the same before the authorities concerned.

You should verify that on what basis this third person is claiming this property, ask him to produce the title documents and other relevant documents or ask him to proceed through court where you can challenge on the basis of documents in your possession and merits in your side.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer