• Tenant not vacating, Agreement expired on September 2016

I had given my flat on rent, the agreement has expired on 30 september 2016.

The tenant had promised to vacate on 11th October 2016. 

He is in jail for some fraud, and his wife is not vacating the house.

I gave 2 months extension to stay on good faith basis, and she agreed to vacate on 30 November 2016.

But she has no intentions to vacate and is buying time. Her husband is still in jail.

Kindly suggest.

Vinay Madavi
8097096660
Asked 12 months ago in Property Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
1) issue legal notice to tenant to vacate your premises on expiry of agreement 

2) if he refuses file suit for eviction of trespasser before the competent authority 

You have to issue a legal notice instructing her to vacate the premises since she is an unauthorised occupant and it was her husband who was the tenant.

If she fails to respond or comply then you may initiate legal process to evict her through court of law by filing an eviction petition/suit.

1. The expiry of the tenancy agreement does not make the stay of the tenant illegal.
2.however that does not mean that you do not have remedy.
3.To get vacant possession of your proeprty you can file suit for eviction on the ground of expiry of tenancy.
4. Before filing such suit for eviction you have to send the tenant notice of eviction.

You have to file a petition for eviction of the tenant in the court in which apart from eviction you can also claim mesne profits for the use of premises despite the expiry of the rent agreement. This is the only remedy under legal framework.