• Mutual Divorce - when is the right time to file - another query

Thanks for the answer. Just wanted to ask another question...whether there are any ways in which the husband can extract  money from our family on pretext of agreeing to go for a mutual divorce? Can we then use alimony and going for contest as a way to dissuade them? The family is not a very good one and hence we want to be very careful.
Asked 6 years ago in Family Law from Kolkata, West Bengal
Religion: Hindu

No you should not agree.If they are really harnessing you go Section 498a.I normally do not suggest this but you can use them as leverage if they are really troubling you.

Anil Gupta
Advocate, New Delhi
180 Answers
41 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

after filing for divorce by mutual consent your husband is at liberty to change his mind . he may not turn up for hearing on the second motion . in case he with draws his consent your petition for divorce by mutual consent can be dismissed . you can then file fresh petition for divorce . claim maintenance , alimony and other reliefs

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
74627 Answers
4464 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer