• Am I eligible for UPSC under these circumstances - urgent advice

Respected and Learned members of this community.
I have a query. Back in February 2008 I was consuming alcohol in public place in Kolkata. Suddenly police caught me, but they didn't take me to hospital for medical check up, on the contrary they took me to Police Station. I was asked to hand over my wallet, watch and then I was put behind bars. After 2 hrs a person(Later came to know that he was a lawyer) came. Asked me to come out. Wrote my name and address, asked me to sign a few forms and then fingerprinted me. I singed on a place where it was mentioned "signature of the arrestee" After that I asked me to give them Rs. 500 which I did. They told me that I'm out in "bail" and neither I have to come to PS not to any court. Due to moral fear I shared this incident with nobody. Since then I have received no communication from anybody. Neither any court nor any police station ever contacted me. During surfing internet I came to know that such cases come under the purview of IPC Sec 268. But I have no document, nothing at all. Even have no idea with which section they have charged me, neither I was produced to court nor I received any summon in the last 8 yrs.
After working in MNCs for more than half a decade I'm going to appear in UPSC Mains next month. 
Please tell me is this going to be a problem? I don't intend to hide anything but the problem is I have no document with me to validate/substantiate any details.
During that two hours only they put me behind bar, then took signature of forms (they called it bail bond), took fingerprints, took Rs. 500 and then asked me to go and never to come back.
Even the Lawyer came outside with me after releasing me asked me "have you given wrong credentials?". I said "No". He said "OK, but next time onwards try to give wrong name and address if it ever happens". I was amazed and paralyzed with shock. 
Please tell me how should I take it? Am I going to face any problem?
Please guide.
Asked 1 year ago in Criminal Law from Kolkata, West Bengal
Religion: Hindu
1) you should  disclose the fact that you were caught consuming alchol in public place and fine of Rs 500 imposed upon you 

2) it should not affect your eligibility for UPSC exams 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44285 Answers
2572 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Do note all criminal case is not damaging in government employment.
2. Only cases of grave nature involving moral turpitude is bar for public employment.
3. So check the upsc rules to find out this case is bar or not.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12525 Answers
161 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The incidence seems to have taken place 8 years ago.

This is a petty case and there is no thing to be followed up on it. 

The word bail bond itself is nothing but a cheating.  

Since this is a petty case the lawyer who visited the station would have signed the admission petition and paid prescribed fine  for the purpose, pocketed his fee and walked of. 

The case is closed and has nothing to do with it at this stage.

You can very well apply for government jobs or UPSC etc. 

This will never come into picture nor you have anything to be worried about it. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34455 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer