• Dispute with society on pending dues

I have purchased a society flat in Delhi on resale. The property is free hold and all dues clearance certificates provided by society. When I approached the society management for getting a share certificate in my name they told me that some retro dues (approx. 2 lakh plus) are still pending. The certificate (which I have in original society letter head signed and stamped)  was issued by the then administrator (as society was on dispute at that time). Now the newly formed society says that the dues are still not cleared. Kindly advise how to tackle this.
Asked 10 years ago in Property Law

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

2 Answers

if society administrator has issued no dues certificate it is binding on the society . the new managing committee cannot refuse to transfer share certificate in your name particularly so when no due certificate has been issued by administrator . issue legal notice to society . complain to registrar against the society . in addition also issue notice to seller to clear outstanding dues allegedly claimed by society .

if society refuses to transfer share certificate in your name you can also move consumer forum for necessary reliefs .

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94933 Answers
7575 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Normally in societies in Delhi this is happening.Advise given above is in order but before taking up the issue pl assess the cost both ways I.e. payment to society as it is Vs litigation and time element cost.

Anil Gupta


Anil Gupta
Advocate, New Delhi
180 Answers
41 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer