• Divorce

Alimony amount is decided for the divorce after contesting the case for 4 years by both parties in front of judge. Now both party advocates are asked by the judge to prepare papers. My questions are:
1. does that mean it will no longer be a contested divorce and will become mutual consent divorce.
2. Once the papers are ready, how many days are given to submit the alimony amount  (in lump sum)
3. After ho many days will the divorce decree be given.
4. Can both the parties then remarry and if yes after how many days?
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh
Religion: Hindu

1. The divorce will still be a contested one and not my mutual consent.

2. Normally if the alimony amount is large, the court gives reasonable time to deposit the amount. Sometimes a liberty is given to deposit the amount in installments. The reasonable time may run into 6 months or so. The lawyer can request the court after the amount is settled to get some reasonable time for depositing the same.

3. This depends on the next date of hearing. Normally the divorce decree is give immediately after finalization of proceedings.

4. The parties can remarry on the very next day of getting the divorce decree.

Nishant Bora
Advocate, Jodhpur
111 Answers
32 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
Ask a Lawyer

Family Lawyers

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
27383 Answers
1488 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
17540 Answers
166 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
13602 Answers
292 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
19628 Answers
507 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
6916 Answers
78 Consultations
4.9 on 5.0
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
3814 Answers
151 Consultations
4.9 on 5.0
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
3156 Answers
47 Consultations
4.9 on 5.0
Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
974 Answers
69 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
2032 Answers
24 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
1307 Answers
71 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0