• Signature change

I have problem regarding signature.I am a central government employee (LD Clerk). I am now using new signature. I changed before getting government job. Now I have new signature using everyday in office and official purposes and old one in all identity cards like passport, driving license. Can i change my signatures from identity cards. Is there any legal difficulties in changing signature to new one. Please help
Asked 1 year ago in Criminal Law from Kavaratti, Lakshadweep
Religion: Muslim
Yes, you can change signature.The signature is hardly verified unless it is for banking purposes. However your frequent changes in signature may put you in trouble as mischief maker may utilise this frequent change.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
8639 Answers
102 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

One is free to change his signature at anytime in any of his documents, but the competent authority should be intimated about signature change and the changed signature should be incorporated in the documents of identity to prevent signature mismatch. So if you change your signature in bank records, passport, driving license and PAN card then send an intimation to the concerned authorities regarding the change of signature.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
20474 Answers
542 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You cannot change the signature in the existing identity cards now.  You can continue with your new signature though you have old signatures in your identity cards.  Your signatures will not be compared to that of your identity cards when you sign anywhere.  The ID proofs are for proving yourself and not your signature.  A man's signature can change in the next moment too.  If one has to put his signatures in many places every day, his signatures may not be  identical even he has singed it one minute ago, so there is nothing to be concerned about it. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
22801 Answers
226 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a Lawyer