• Divorce

Dear Sir,
My brother got married a year ago. The girl is extremely short tempered, fights on even small issues and threatens him all the time for divorce. She has left the home for the second time and gone to stay with her family. My brother is very depressed and disheartened by the mental torture. What are the legal proceedings for getting divorce. What precautions he must take as the girl's family is very cunning.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
You may file a police complaint for being threatened, and thereafter file for divorce on the grounds of mental cruelty and harassment.

She might get hyper and can file a 498A case against you and your family, in which case it would be prudent to secure an anticipatory bail from the court of sessions.

Feroz Shaikh
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
407 Answers
58 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

The legal recourse to obtain divorce begins by engaging a lawyer and filing the case on the ground of mental cruelty. 

A false case of dowry harassment might just be on the cards against your brother. He needs to be vigilant and apply for anticipatory bail as soon as the case is filed so that he is not arrested and put behind bars.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23959 Answers
668 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer