• Contract Marriage

I do not know much about contract marriage but have heard about it on tv channels. Can you please help me knowing what actually contract marriage is? Is contract marriage similar to normal hindu marriages?

Asked 3 years ago in Family Law from Agra, Uttar Pradesh

Thank you for posting your query.

Contract marriage is a marriage done with specific terms. Say for example a marriage done for a specific time i.e. 1 year or so and after that the marriage stands dissolved. This concept exists in Islam and is enumerated in their personal laws.

However there is no concept of contract marriage in Hindu Law. In Hindu Law marriage is considered as a sacrament. Although over the years the concept of Hindu Marriage being a Sacrament has dissolved a bit, still it is far from being a contract. So a contract marriage is absolutely different from normal Hindu Marriage.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Nishant