• Name change

I want to get detailed information on procedure for my name change. I am currently done with my 3rd year in B.Tech and have one more year left which makes it all the more urgent for me to get my name changed before getting into a job. I have looked up web for the same but I wanted to have a reliable source of information given that our government office employees require precisely what there is written in rules and that is very difficult to obtain.
Apart from this I also want to know about process of updating the new name in my driving license, voter ID card and university records. Whether I would have to update my 10th and 12th (both CBSE) certificates to get those aforementioned changes done and if it would be required in future, I just can't happen to obtain this information from anywhere. I long for this name change since I want to take up further studies or job with that new name. 
So it would be very helpful of you if you could provide me with this knowledge.
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law from Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh
1) for change of name it has to be published in govt gazette and 2 local newspapers 

2) on basis of changed name you can apply for changing your name in driving licence , PAN card etc 

3) you need not change your 10th and 12th school certificates .
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45580 Answers
2677 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. First of all you shall have to make an affidavit before the  Magistrate  stating that hence forth you shall be known as .................in place of ................and both the names are of yours,

2. Then you shall have to publish the content of the affidavit in wto local Newspapers,

3. After that file applications before RTO & ITO for changing your name in driving license and PAN card. You can thus modified your voter ID card also,

4. Your scholl certificates can not be changed without Court order.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18510 Answers
448 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer