• Taxes for transferring inherited agricultural land?

My father passed away a few years ago and the entire family resides overseas. Presently my mother is visiting Punjab to get agricultural land transferred from my fathers name to his children. 

She has been informed that in addition to the "commission" for the patwari and tehsildar there is a state tax which had double during the past week from 1% of the value of the land to 2%. 

Based on my experience in Canada, I don't believe there should be any land transfer taxes due as the land is not being sold, it is being transferred to heirs.

Can someone advise whether there are taxes applicable under such circumstances? and if so what is the current rate in Punjab.
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law from Ludhiana, Punjab
1) you need to contact a local  lawyer practising in Punjab regarding state taxes prevalent in Punjab . the commission that is sought to be recovered by patwari and tehsildar is nothing but bribe money .

2) you can contact Mr asish Davesar Advocate from this website as he practices in Chandigarh High court and can guide you regarding state taxes
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44410 Answers
2581 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It appears some local laws in respect of inheritance among family members is involved.
Such laws differ from state to state,.
Hence it is advisable that you take help of some local lawyer.
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
12554 Answers
161 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It appears that the patwaris & tehshilder is taking bribe which they are calling as commission,

2. There may be specified law & rule prevailing at Punjab for collecting tax/revenue while transferring ownership of the property,

3. Contact a local lawyer to be clarrified.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18164 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer