I live in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
i want to know that can i playing a lottery held in other Countries from India is a crime or not. and if not, Depositing money in that website which will buy ticket for your behalf is also a crime.
Please tell me.
Asked 3 years ago in Civil Law from Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
1. Gambling/Lottery is an offence in India execpting in the states of Sikkim & Goa,
2. In your case the incidence takes place in some other country where gambling is not an offence,
3. It will not be treated as a crime in India but the amount brought in India will be taxed.
1) Lotteriesare governed by The Lotteries (Regulation) Act, 1998 which is the central legislation that lays down guidelines and restrictions in conducting lotteries. The State Governments have been given the responsibility of conducting the lotteries. The state itself can organize lotteries
2) section 30 of indian contract provides that no suit can be bought to recover amount won from any wager.winner of a lottery has no right to claim the winnings or get any other sort of relief or remedy against the lottery agency, ifthat agency refuses to pay the winnings.
3) in india many states run their own lottery . if you are fond of buying lottery tickets buy the same from any state run lotteries .
winning proceeds from gambling cannot be remitted in india legally under Foreign Exchange management act