• Dispute over contest winnings

Hi experts,

Seek your opinion on dispute about a contest winnings.

There was a video contest wherein the contestants had to prepare a 30s ad for the contest organizer. Since there was just one entry allowed per user, I had prepared a video and forwarded it to my friend to apply on my behalf with an agreement (message history on whatsapp) that he would give me the prize if he wins.

As per the rules, once shortlisted the video organizer uploaded the video on YouTube and the person with the maximum likes and comments was to be declared a winner. The video that my friend had sent was shortlisted and the video was uploaded on YouTube, I helped to get around 700+ likes to the video out of the 726 likes and the video was declared a winner.

Now my friend says that he will not be giving the prize to me.

I have the below to suggest that I have prepared the video and sent it to my friend:-

1. Whatsapp message history wherein I told him about the contest and the prize. Also, where he agreed to give the prize to me.
2. E-mail containing the video attachment that I sent to him and which he later forwarded.
3. Website link where I created the video.
4. All the images, sound files etc. that I used to create the video.

Can you please tell me what can be done in this case.

Thanks,
Rahul.
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Mumbai, Maharashtra
1) what is the prize money ?

2)  why did you not apply in your name ?

3)  what are the rules and regulations governing prize money ? 

4) is there any clause that if application is made in name of another person prize money would be 
 forfeited? 

5) contact a local lawyer and issue legal notice to your friend
multiple applications are not allowed . in order  to circumvent the rules relating to video contest you have applied in your friend name . since your friend has won the video contest prize money belongs to him . any contract entered into by you with your friend in violation of rules laid down for contest cannot be enforced
in your original query you had specifically mentioned as under 

Since there was just one entry allowed per user, I had prepared a video and forwarded it to my friend to apply on my behalf with an agreement (message history on whatsapp) that he would give me the prize if he wins.

i have based my reply based on facts stated by you . if rules allowed multiple entries try your luck by issue of legal notice . your friend may return prize money to  you
thanks for your appreciation