• divorce under the uniform civil code

I got married in 1998 in goa. My husband is from mumbai.  I stayed in mumbai with my for 8 years.  He bought a flat for us to stay in 2000.  I plan to file for divorce.  Do i have a right over his assets in mumbai.  We are both Roman catholics.  I have a 13 yr old son who lives with me in goa.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from mapusa, Goa
Religion: Hindu
Getting divorce should not be a problem citing separation. Minimum it might take 3 months to maximum a year.

Securing divorce should not be a problem.

Feroz Shaikh
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
407 Answers
58 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

There is no uniform civil code as of now in existence in the country. Personal law of every religion is different.
To answer your question, you do nave any right over the assets of your husband unless he agrees to give you a share therein. It might take up to 2 years to obtain divorce if he elects to contest your divorce case.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23180 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer