• Copyright

I am an student and thinking to start a website which will be focussed towards engineering technologies.. also i want link some text books (on which copyright act is mentioned) in my websites so that my website users can be beneficial of it. 

I am thinking to upload these text books in some ONLINE DATA STORAGE PORTAL and i will be pasting that particular file link in my website.

But i am worried that.. by doing this i will end up with criminal case.

Please kindly guide me what i have to do...

with thanks,
Asked 3 years ago in Criminal Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
If copyright has been obtained with respect to certain text books then you cannot link them in your website except without the prior consent of the owner. You will be amenable to criminal prosecution for copyright infringement in addition to being liable to pay heavy monetary damages to the owner if you use the copyrighted material without the consent of the owner.
'Uploading' the copyrighted content and sharing it without the consent of the copyright holder is punishable offense.

However if you find any resource available in the internet (already uploaded in file sharing websites) freely, you can share such link in your website and direct the user to that site (so that they can download). Sharing such information about the availability does not constitute copyright violation.

Sushil Jha
Advocate, Patna