• Money lender loan Settlement

Hi team

I had taken a loan of rs 1 Lakh from a private money lender 4 years back. As my financial position was worst. the rate of interest was 10% per month.

i have paid 10% interest every month till december 2013, later got it down to 5% per month since jan 2014.

Now i want to settle with him, is their any way i could pay him less than the principal amount taken? as iv paid a lot of interest to it..

most of the interest paid to him was through bank transfer.
Asked 2 years ago in Criminal Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Private money lending not legal if lender has not taken license. If he is unlicensed money lender, refuse to pay interest and then negotiate with him to settle the matter amicably for lesser amount as one time settlement.
Sandeep Hegde
Advocate, Bangalore
361 Answers
97 Consultations
4.8 on 5.0
The only way you can pay him below the principal amount taken is by convincing him in this regard. You are legally liable to pay him the principal amount lent and the interest settled. 

If he is a private a money lender then he cannot advance money without a money lending license.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
18049 Answers
444 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
Ask a Lawyer

Criminal Lawyers

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
13883 Answers
127 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
18049 Answers
444 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
12027 Answers
226 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
5131 Answers
54 Consultations
4.9 on 5.0
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
3513 Answers
129 Consultations
4.9 on 5.0
Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
868 Answers
43 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Atulay Nehra
Advocate, Noida
423 Answers
15 Consultations
4.7 on 5.0
Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
1905 Answers
19 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
2693 Answers
41 Consultations
4.9 on 5.0
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1949 Answers
65 Consultations
5.0 on 5.0