• How much land I can use for making a house in agricultural land in Uttarakhand

I am planning to buy 2 Bigha of agriculture land in plains in Uttarakhand to make a farmhouse. How much out of 2 bigha(13000 Sqft) I can use for making my house? I am not a resident of Uttarakhand.
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

Agricultural land cannot be used for residential purpose.You need to get the land use converted from agricultural to residential before any construction. Different States have different procedures to do this.

You can convert agricultural land into residential land by paying a fee. You can get a 'change of land use' after obtaining the necessary approval from the local authorities.

Dimple Jain
Advocate, Jodhpur
222 Answers

Not rated

It is better to contact any local lawyer for faultless advice, Vague answers will not give you the exact relief .

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19029 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1. Typically you will be able to use 0.25 FSI of the Land for making a Farm-House. However, the local Town Planning laws (from district collector office) will have to be checked for the latest laws.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5612 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


A house can be constructed on an agricultural land but that does not mean that the land becomes a residential one. It still remains an agricultural land in the revenue records. Therefore you can construct a house but the land would still be an agricultural one.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13755 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

As per the rules, a person can buy only 250 sq metres of agricultural land falling outside city area and matter is subjudice before Supreme Court.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0


at present, the only prohibition on purchase and sale of land operates with respect to agricultural lands or lands outside municipal/cantonment limits, that too beyond 250 sq. mts. and not to any other kind of property.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The government permits an individual or any society to purchase residential land up to 250 sq. mtrs.

Thus that may be the extent permitted to construct residential house, however you may confirm the same from the local civic body/authority.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78057 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer