• Misuse of my DP in Whatsapp

H sir ,

Some person has used my DP on his WhatsApp display pic

How to I proceed further to file a police compaint of the candidate

Your response is highly appreciated
Asked 4 years ago in Criminal Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

15 Answers

This is my response to you:

1. You must approach the police station with the printouts of the same;

2. File an FIR against the perpetrator under IPC and IT Act;

3. Also ask the police to find the true location of the perpetrator;

4. File also a defamation suit in the civil court for seeking compensations in the nature of damages.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can file a complaint to police under the IT act and the IPC for breaching your privacy and defamation.

The police shall register the FIR and the case can be registered against the said person.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

In case any damage is occurred by misusing DP you can file suit and can claim damages and compensation from the said person.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

 Complaint can be lodged with the concerned police station with a copy to the SP/DCP of the area concerned and the Cyber cell of the police if any.

Under Information technology act, Sec. 67 and Sec. 66E, deals with the using of image without permission of the person, but these sections require the act to contain images of private part of the body or obsecene content in electronic form.

Other provisions under 43 will come into picture if the person has taken the image from your computer, computer resource, computer network.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Dear Client,

File police complain u/s 416 of IPC for cheating by personation.

NO such provision of identity theft in Indian legal system yet but can be deal u/s 67 of IT Act.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. Well, this a cyber offence for which a case under relevant provision of IT Act and IPC applies.

2. So visit the nearest cyber cell and lodge a complaint against the person concerned or against the unknown persons if you do not now their identity.

3. So visit the police station or the cyber cell and lodge complaint in writing.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

issue him legal notice to person to delete your Dp in his whats app display pic

2) if he is using your personal pictures as his dp you can file police complaint against him for cheating by impersonation

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87932 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You you can file a complaint when the said person the police under section 416 of the Indian penal code which is for cheating by impersonation and the relevant provisions of the IT Act which is reproduced below:

Section 66D :Punishment for cheating by personation by using computer resource. -Whoever, by means for any communication device or computer resource cheats by personating, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine which may extend to one lakh rupees.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5928 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Complain before cyber cell of your district for appropriate action with screen shoot and other evidence with number of the person who is using your photo....

Santosh Kumar Singh
Advocate, Dhanbad
8 Answers

Not rated

Immediately move a complaint with the cyber cell of the Hyderabad Police.

Share relevant details such as the name and phone number of the person who is misusing your photo.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. File proper written application with relevant documentary proof of the offence alongwith phone number, and request them to take legal action.

2. Better still if the matter is trivial THEN change the DP and carry on with your life, instead of falling prey to legal matters.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
5612 Answers
25 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have evidence for this misuse you may prefer a complaint before the cyber crime police with supporting documents.

If there is no major impact then you may ignore it or if it is worthwhile following it then you may be in touch with the cyber crime police.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78089 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Mis used*DP and [deleted] is my numbe

You may provide evidence for this misuse to the cyber crime police along with the details of the crime that has affected you.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78089 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can give a complaint to the cyber police the concern police will take action

Konda Srinivas
Advocate, Hyderabad
211 Answers
2 Consultations

Not rated

Lodge a complaint at the Cyber Crimes Police Station, Hyderabad for identity theft and creating fake profiles on social media.

Shekhar Banerjee
Advocate, Delhi
156 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer