• Media website

I'm planning to launch a website where users can upload a song they will sing, it maybe a movie song or their original composition.

My question is if I host movie songs sung by users of my website am I doing anything illegal. I mean can the media companies whoes song my website users would be singing have the ability to sue me for any wrorgdoing since they own the copyright to a particular song.
Asked 2 years ago in Intellectual Property from United Kingdom
Hi, you have not copy the songs of movies but it is a song sing by the them so the company can not claim right over the song sing by individuals so they can not claim any right over them.
When you get your website on the tool in the terms of use of the website and privacy policy, it is advisable to mention that the song sung by the individual is for their use and your company is not liable for any damages or loss caused to anyone. As such no copyright is violated as the song once sung comes in public domain and hence if they are merely singing in their voice and uploading on ur website, it does not attract any wrong doing.
Well for template or a sample document, you will have to contact a particular lawyer as everyone has their own samples. In your privavy policy you have to secure yourself by portraying yourself as just a medium who has provided a platform for the singers to grow their talent.

Intellectual Property Lawyers

Sidharth Das
Sudershani Ray
Deepak Tiwari