• Harassed by my ex girlfriend that she will commit suicide

Harassed By My Ex girlfriend, that she will commit suicide if we breakup. As a matter of fact its become a daily routine of hers to message me and call me to tell that if i leave her she will commit suicide. As an independent adult i have full right to choose what is right for me. As she started cursing my parents and troubling me while we were in a relationship. It forced me to take this decision to break from her. I keep telling her to value her life. I care for her that she will take a wrong step. Please help me to avoid it and to make myself in a safe position if something bad happens.
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

She has no right over yofr forcing you to marry her.

In a live in relationship, as the name suggests, the relationship can break up and do not have to last longer or has to end up oly on marriage.

It is just that two opposite gender people liked to live with each other till the time they wanted and after that if either or both do not want to continue their relationship, there is nothing in law to force them to be together after that also.

If she continuously threatens to commits suicide then you may lodge a complaint with the local police about this and can inform the police that you cannot be held responsible for any such event that may happen as threatened by her.

You dont respond to her calls. You can block her number in the phone. You can delete her Facebook account, You can discontinue your email account and can open a new account. Take all the steps to avoid confronting her in any manner.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you should in reply mention that you had consensual relationship .

2) no promise for marriage was made

3) you were forced to call off the relationship as your girl friend used to abuse your parents

4) advise her to consult a psychiatrist

5) change your mobile number

7) deactivate your profile on face book

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95205 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. you have the right to choose your life partner as per your wish and also have the right to refuse anybody's proposal to marry you.

2. Allegation against you may start only if you have induced her in to having physical relationship with the promise of marriage and some courts have considered it as rape and some courts have refused to consider it as rape but consensual s*x.

3. Collect/preserve all such documents of her threatening you to commit suicide if you do not marry her and lodge a police complaint against her for blackmailing you.

4.If police fails to take any action, file a writ Petition before the High Court against police inaction seeking relief.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27245 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. No relationship can survive keeping a head at gun point.

2.Your situation is similar like that.

3. Unless your gf normalises it would be difficult for you to continue this relationship.

4. So either make her understand to behave properly or move out of this relationship beofre it is too late.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer