• Want to take divorce from my wife

I got married in may 2015 and now it has been almost two years being in marriage. From the day one she used to fight with me and with my parents. Our compatibility is zero on every ground. she always abuse me, threatens me to commit suicide if i dont follow her decision, in fact once she tried to commit suicide in front of my parents. Obviously It was for blackmailing them. she always blame me that i have extra marital affair, and sometimes she says that i have another marriage too. I am really disappointed with my marriage. Unfortunately my marriage commenced in bihar where reputation is everything, cost of happiness is nothing. In fact sometimes my parents threatened me to not apply for divorce. Currently i am living in Delhi. Can i apply for divorce in Delhi as i am living here for last 10 years. I am hundred percent sure if apply divorce in bihar i wont be able to fight due to lack of support and threatening. Many times my parents, her parents and wife accepted that she has a problem. She is so loud, always in anger, not having control on her but still they suggest me to adjust with her for life. I have tried so many times to convince her for mutual divorce but she always denied. she wants to stay with me even after knowing the fact that our marriage is not sustainable. Please suggest me can i file divorce from Delhi as i am staying there. please help me.

Thanks and regards
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

3 Answers

1) you can file for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty in Delhi as you have been staying in Delhi

2) wife abusing husband and in laws amounts to mental cruelty

3) wife threatening to commit suicide amounts to mental cruelty

4) wife accusing husband of having xtra marital affair amounts to mental cruelty

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you can file for divorce in Delhi but your wife can file petition in SC for transfer of divorce case to Patna

2) generally court considers convenience of the wife as she would have to travel long distances to attend court dates

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95215 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If your marriage is not going smooth, you may decide to call it off.

The intolerable acts of cruelty and tortures may not be conducive for a happy married life.

You can decide to quit if that would give you relief.

You can file divorce case in the place of marriage or where you both resided lastly together or her current place of residence

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer