• Mental harassment by mother in law

Hi ,
I have been married for three years and have a one year old daughter. My mother in law tries to control the house and every decision of the house. My in laws always try to create issuesbof small things. They want me to wake up early clean the house do the cooking and then go to office. Right now I am a feeding mother I am not able to wake up early than 7 and I have told them many time. My in-laws stay with us to look after our daughter. My mother in law does the cooking and looks after my daughter when I am working and i am greatful for that. But every now and then she wants to pic up a fight. since I also work I wanted my husband to share the household work as he didn't want to spend money for a maid and his mother is not happy that he has to clean the house. I wake up at 7 feed my daughter, get her ready, feed her again, give my daughter her medicines and finally leave to office. I come back in the afternoon to feed her and go to office again. I am always late to office bacuase of this and need to work late. Yesterday she picked up a fight just because I called my husband to come early since our daughter was not feeling well . I really got irritated coz she was not allowing me to talk to my husband. I was not understanding what was wrong in calling him up. After this both my in laws started telling really bad things about me and my family like I do not have any Sankara, I am bad luck to the house, they are ashamed that they got me coz their relatives got really rich daughter in laws, my husband had got really rich proposals than mine, my parents cannot even afford a steel glass, my parents didn't give anything for this house and so on. My husband has never spent a ruppe on me even during my delivery. I need to give him money when he asks. I paid for 75% of my daughter's first year birthday expense and I really don't care if he doesn't spend for us . I really want to leave this house but my in laws are asking for a written statement telling I am leaving by my on wish. Do I really have to give such a statement. Please help me.
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

1) no need to give in writing that you are leaving the house as per your wish

2) i do hope you have all your gold jwellery with you . if not keep it in your custody in bank locker

3) visit a family counsellor to resolve your differnces

4) if situation does not resolve walk out of your matrimonial home

5) you can seek maintenance from your husband for your daughter

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95216 Answers
7611 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. If you do not want to break the marriage then never go to anywhere unless your husband also accompanies you.

2. Ignore their tantrums and stop doing anything which your health or wish does not permit.

3.You are not married for carrying household chores only. So refuse to act as per their dictates.

4. There are many ways to teach them lessons by legal means but since they may break your marriage ,I for time being do not advise you for the same.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Ordinary domestic tit bits between ladies are leading your married life to disaster.

2. If you head for divorce finally, it will severely affect your daughter later on.

3. all should keep in mind that divorce is he 2nd most stressful event in one's life.

4. Treat the problem in a matured way. Your MIL is demanding service from you based on her perception of a ideal wife and she has not updated herself with the reality.

5. Talk to your husband amicably to find out a solution without allowing the problem to further aggravate.

6. However, do not give any such statement as desired by your MIL.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27245 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have decided to abandon your matrimonial house, then you may not need anyone's permission, you can just like that walk out of the house, nobody can stop you from doing so, you do not have to give anything in writing too..

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85416 Answers
2239 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer