• Online purchase of item from international source

Hi..I had purchased sex toys online not knowing that they are coming from outside India. The package is stuck at the customs and on tracking the package there is a comment" waiting for proof of payment and purchase from addressee.

The cost of the product is approximately 6500 INR.

What should I do?
Asked 7 years ago in Civil Law

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

3 Answers

Customs authorities often harass the addressee of such products and since sale of such products is banned in Indian mainland it is better to avoid taking delivery of the same.

Reas section 292 of ipc which bans sale of any article which is obscene.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you would be issued show cause notice by customs that import of sex toy is prohinbited . you would be callaed upon to show cause why goods should not be confiscated and penalty should not be imposed upn you

2) in reply to show cause notice you should take the plea that you have no objection if sex toys are confiscated

3) mention that you dont want personal hearing

4) penalty would be imposed upon you of around 6000 and goods confiscated

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95205 Answers
7607 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Importing sex toys from abroad is an offence as per the customs law.

Instead of arguing with the department, you better express your willingness to forego the item confiscated and that you are ready to pay the fine if any for the purpose and try to close the matter.

Do not stretch the issue in the name of legal case on the ill advice of some greedy advocates, you cannot succeed if there is no proof in your side to prove your innocence.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85404 Answers
2236 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer