• B.E. thesis published in journal without my knowledge

I  was a student of department of biotechnology in AVIT college in Chennai as a part of curricular we have to do a project work in our final semester . I along with my 2 friends and one teacher  have done project on anticancer drug development from a plant. we have completed our B.E in 2012 .
few days back  I came to know that our guide who was also our HOD that time has published a research article in international journal in September 2014 ,he didn't given any credit to us and our name is not in the research paper ,he only changed the title and introduction part of the article but methods ,results are same as in our thesis. In research paper he has given name of his wife how is now Hod of department , one teacher who worked with us and name of the director of Lab were we have carried out our all work. they didn't have any communication with us in last two year but our Hod at that time took soft copy of our thesis a day before our final presentation ,he pressurized us to give our thesis to him.
Now I am looking for what action i can take against him. plzzz help us
Asked 7 years ago in Intellectual Property

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

3 Answers

Whatever work you do during college is the property of the college. Was there any such term in your college?

You have to file a complaint against the concerned teacher in the college from where you did your BE. You can also file a criminal case against the teacher however it is suggested that the college authorities must be informed before proceeding under copyright law.

You must send a legal notice to the teacher asking him to give you due credit before toy proceed to file a case against him.

Shaveta Sanghi
Advocate, Chandigarh
914 Answers
111 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Immediately file a copyright infringement suit against him. U had a good case. U can also initiate criminal actions against him under the Indian Copyright Act.

Advocate, Chennai
40 Answers
20 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

thesis comes under intellectual property of maker. you can lodge a complaint before UGC, and Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB) chennai for infringement of intellectual property right, against your HOD.

it does not matter that you have applied for copyright ot not. if you have that thesis prior to the publication then you have thesis as your intellectual property.

Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5127 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer