• Resignation from Public Sector Bank

I am working with a Public Sector Bank (Canara Bank) in Middle Management (Senior Manager) presently residing at Ghaziabad/ NCR and posted at Chandigarh. I had applied for voluntary retirement from the services of the bank 3 times. Every time, the requests have been declined on flimsy grounds. 

Ultimately, I resigned from the bank on 11.08.2014 with notice period till 31.08.2014 & surrender of salary in lieu of shortage of notice period (90days). But even after the expiry of mandatory period of 90 days notice period, the bank has not given any response. The resignation was sent through e mail followed by registered post to the designated offices. I have not attended the office during this period.

In the above backdrop, I would like to request honorable panel of advocates, for an advise. I would like to have advise on my further course of action.
Asked 9 years ago in Labour

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

4 Answers

Dear Client,

In such a case you should issue a Strong Legal Notice in front of Canara Bank as well as Baking Ombudsman thereafter Bank will resolve your issue and if want some more clarifoication then contact us.

Advocate Anurag Bhatt

Allahabad High Court

Mobile [deleted]

Anurag Bhatt
Advocate, Allahabad
83 Answers
1 Consultation

4.6 on 5.0

If you have not received any reply from them, send them a representation asking for what steps they took on your application. If need be file RTI.

Or send a notice to them asking them the reasons for sitting over your resignation.

Shaveta Sanghi
Advocate, Chandigarh
914 Answers
111 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You he legal options to sue the bank for such kind of treatment. Resignation personal ground after giving proper notice is not an offence to harass you like this.

Get an advocate to send a legal notice demanding the bank to settle your dues based on your resignation letter .

wait for the reply, in fifteen days time if there is no positive response from the bank,

Banking ombudsman has no legal jurisdiction to try complaint from the bank employees.

you can file a civil suit asking the arrears due and final settlement.

You can also approach the high court with a writ petition for issuing proper directions to the bank.

S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
3547 Answers
175 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You have stated " on 11.08.2014 with notice period till 31.08.2014 & surrender of salary in lieu of shortage of notice period (90days)". How have you surrendered your salary of the balance period? Are you attending the office and not taking the salary? Have you enlcosed any cheque toeards the said amount?

2. So, if the above is not true, then your resignation is defective not being in accordance with the rule of the Bank regarding the notice period,

3. However, the Bank should have replied to your said resignation confirming its acceptance or rejection,

4. May be that the Bank is waiting for 90 days to be completed,

5. I suggest you to meet the authoritry to enquire about the matter.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
27219 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer