Can a mother file a case of Dowry harassment

I live in US and not in a position to travel because of various reasons, wanted some guidance if my mother can file a compliant on her on with local police for Dowry harassment. As today when she approached local police they refuse to take the compliant and asked to lodge a complaint with Ministry of External Affairs as i now live in US. They have for now accepted the papers "Only for information" Pls guide.