Can the Girl file a case in IPC 498A in this case?

Its 8 Months that she has left the house, send a legal notice thru her lawyer accusing our family which includes mental harassment and dowry and filed for maintenance in the family court. Can she file a case against us under IPC 498A. My Nephew got married before a year and now since 8 months his wife has gone back to her parents. Since the day of marriage she was never bothered about the relationship and a lot of interference from her mother & father. Now they have send a legal notice stating mental harassment and dowry asking for Rs.5,00,000/- and 15,000/- a month as settlement. My Nephew has consulted a lawyer and has replied those people but now the they have filed another case in the Family court for the same. The salary of my Nephew is just 10000/- and his wife's salary is 8500/-. My Nephew, his mother & father are extremely straight forward people and the counter parts are strong and experienced as they have the wife's brother who has been separated from his wife too. They are aware of the prevailing laws that favor 100% only to the female. My Nephew is depressed just by the thought of going to the court without any crime committed. The lawyers are playing their game. Can the Cell be of any help in such a case. And Cell contact in the city of Surat, Gujarat. I never knew till this happened in my family, that there actually were no laws for men and all for only women, irrespective of the fact that she is wrong or right.