• Surname / Last name

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a question on Surname. My name is Kaushik Vankadkar. I am blessed with a daughter 15 days back. I want to keep her name as Vaidehi Kaushik.
Vaidehi being first name and Kaushik as Last name / Surname. I need clarification whether I can keep father's name as surname? Is there any complications in future?

Thank you
Asked 3 months ago in Civil Law from Greater Mumbai, Maharashtra

Yes you can keep any name and surname. It's your volition (wish). You must enter the name and surname you wish of your child in his/her birth certificate

Netra Mohanchandra Pant
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
1163 Answers
3 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Your surname and child surname should be same to avoid legal complications in future 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
68143 Answers
4114 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

On birth of a child the parents can give any name and surname as they want.

Once they mention the same while applying for the birth certificate the child acquires the said name and surname and there is no law which prescribes any particular name or surname to be given.

So do what you want to name your child and give a surname of your choice with consent of your wife.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
17972 Answers
258 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Not at all , you can keep her name as you like, rest all the things later on, God bless her.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
1805 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

There is no restriction of putting the name in anyway however your name as a father should appear correctly in all the documents provide any future problems you can give the desired name to your daughter good luck

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
5594 Answers
19 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can keep and even not use but she may face problem in future like VISA process, PP verification etc. As surname dose not match.

Than do one thing, In Birth certificate, use name as surname d/o Kaushik Vankadkar and same will use in all documents from KG to eternity.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
14010 Answers
18 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0


         It's your wish to retain any name, but why you want to do this?

         why you create complications.

         It's will create complications in jobs and if your cast gets some benefits, 

         then she will get or not.


Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

No there is no complivation you can record same as her last name and can register same in her birth certificate and adhaar card.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
20236 Answers
80 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

There is no such law. Name is your choice. It can be with or without a surname.

There is no law which can ever mandate such a thing.

The child may have anybody’s name or surname. The child need not have a surname.

Women don’t need to change their names or surnames post marriage.

All adults have the right to change their names if they don’t like it.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
3539 Answers
17 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

No you can keep the same.  If any objection comes you can apply through gazette notification for the same

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
13803 Answers
23 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

No complications. Go ahead 

Advocate, New Delhi
117 Answers

4.9 on 5.0

Legally you can give any name to your child and can add your name in full or in initials. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
11053 Answers
4 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

There is nothing wrong in naming your child as per your desire.

Nobody can question you that why you have named in the manner what you say now neither there is any law restricting you from naming your child as per your desire and decision.



T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
57900 Answers
730 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

  1. As per the information mentioned in the present query, makes it clear that you wish to keep your name as her last or surname and want to know any complication or restrictions as per law if any.
  2. I would like to inform you that there is no law which can stop you from doing the same.
  3. You can meet it for sure and it is the choice of the child to continue with it or not in future.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
4923 Answers
11 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. It would be advisable to keep the father's surname;

2. Though there is nothing illegal wrong with keeping her name as per your (as the natural guardian) wishes;

3. If you keep father's surname in the birth certificate then it would be best;

4. For school records, or other transactions you can refuse to use the surname;

5. Consult a local lawyer and take steps.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1826 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes you can keep your father's name as surname as her future identity will depend on the name on her birth certificate. 

But to avoid any complications in future keep the spellings and names of father and mother same in all the IDs of her in future. 

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
4258 Answers
1 Consultation

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer