• Buying agricultural land in yellow zone in Karnataka

I am planning to purchase an agricultural land in Karnataka, which is in yellow zone as per CDP(Comprehensive Development Plan).However the land is not residential converted.Total extend of land with current owners (8 people jointly purchased) is 3.5 acres.It is a single registration deed executed in 2018 (beginning) and the extend of land for each person is mentioned in the sale deed.(However no sketch was made.)Khata transfered on the name of 8 people.
 These 8 people are NOT family members of joint family or blood relatives.They are friends and have agricultural background/ land on their name in Karnataka or outside Karnataka.
Now my question is
1) Can multiple people who are not blood relatives /joint family can buy agricultural land jointly.
2)Is that an invalid transaction under 79 A & B clause of Karnataka Land Reforms Act?
3)If that is an invalid transaction/registration ,is there a way to rectify/correct the mistake?

Please note that the proposed land is in yellow zone which can be converted to (residential zone).
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Christian

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

2 Answers

Dear Client,

Property can be held and purchased by any 2 people or more jointly, not prerequisite of being related to each other in any way, this can be done by agreement for profit sharing too.

Yellow Zone belt is for residential purpose buts it no converted yet, Rs 25 lacs earning per year ceiling will apply.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. There is no legal infirmity for an agriculturist to purchase an agricultural land in Karnataka, since all these people formed a group to purchase this property jointly and also all are having agriculture background, there is no issue in it.

2. How can this be considered as in valid, plain reading of the provisions will not get you the correct meaning, you may have to get it interpreted through a lawyer

If the land under consideration is agricultural and if you intend to develop the land for residential, commercial, or industrial use, it has to be converted to non-agricultural land and a non-agriculture order has to be obtained from the collector of the district where the property is located. Along with this, you need to take the latest receipts evidencing the payment of non-agriculture tax. In cases where the conversion from agricultural use to non agriculture use is not done within the stipulated period, there should be an order from the authority concerned extending the period.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78113 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer