• Can patta-land be transferred or exchanged with other property in West Bengal?

My father has some agricultural lands in Hooghly District, West Bengal.
One nearby farmer has a big agricultural land near to our house. It is a patta land. 
On the other way, my father also has one same-sized agricultural land near to this farmer's house.

My father and the other farmer want to exchange these lands for convenience.
But his land is patta land. According to our knowledge, in West Bengal patta land is non- transferable or non-saleable property. 
Will this kind of direct exchange be legally possible? Is there any work-around or other solution so that my father and the farmer can go for exchange?
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

3 Answers

Who is the owner of that patta land?

See, transfer of patta land by any way takes a good amount of time so the procedures ate time consuming. Besides, there ate also chances of becoming victim of fraud, etc. So if you want to exchange your land with the other owners land then you need to talk with the Owner and know whether he/she is also interested in the same or not. Then the actual procedure will begin.

Moumita Mitra
Advocate, Kolkata
366 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

Patta is document which tells about the ownership of land, what restrictions are coming way -

Is this land settled by govt. in the farmer than restriction is valid under sec 49 of West Bengal Government Land (Regulation of Transfer) Act, otherwise no such restrictions.

Point 2 no solution. Provide more details, by what manner lands were acquired. .

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Than its not possible otherwise govt. shall take back the land as violation of settlement terms sec 49 of Act.

Well, exchange not possible but leave and license agreement -

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer